Default behaviour with regards to Cache-Control

Michael S. Fischer michael at dynamine.net
Thu Feb 12 17:49:29 CET 2009

On Feb 12, 2009, at 3:34 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> Well, if people in general think our defaults should be that way, we
> can change them, our defaults are whatever the consensus can agree on.

I'm with the OP.  Regardless of the finer details of the RFC, if I'm a
web developer and I set the "Cache-Control:" header to "private" or
"no-cache," I would expect it not to be cached by any midstream proxy,
regardless of who controls it.  This would be especially true if I
worked for a larger organization, where some folks in another country,
despite receiving a paycheck signed by the same person as me, may
control a proxy layer I'm not even aware of.

--Michael