Default behaviour with regards to Cache-Control

Ole Laursen olau at iola.dk
Thu Feb 12 15:05:58 CET 2009

Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at ...> writes:
> If you look *really* carefully through the RFC2616, you will find one
> reference to server side caches -- which they forgot to remove.

I get your point (the RFC doesn't apply to Varnish). It wasn't my intention to
slam Varnish for standards violation, though, sorry if it came across like that.

> Well, if people in general think our defaults should be that way, we
> can change them, our defaults are whatever the consensus can agree on.

Cool! That'd make one particular webserver owner's job a bit easier, and I
suspect many others too. :)

Pros:
 - safer
 - principle of least surprise
 - easier management (configure this caching aspect once: in the web app)

Cons
 - ?

I guess I should open an issue about it?

Ole