Current Varnish status?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Tue Feb 13 10:32:11 CET 2007

In message <45D16F4F.1010901 at hio.no>, =?UTF-8?B?S2VubmV0aCBSw7hydmlr?= writes:
>Denis Brækhus wrote:
>> So, my question is, how stable do you consider the current release to be?
>
>I cannot comment on the code itself, but I can give a couple of comments
>on how I perceive varnish as an end-user:

I have always myself been cautions about software with an odd numbered
release, 1.0, 3.0, 5.0 etc.  I have too much statistical evidence to
call this a superstition :-)

I've seen "productionquality" software fare worse than Varnish and
I have seen much software with better error handling than varnish
presently have, but all in all, Varnish is an average 1.0 release.

The good news is that Varnish doesn't suffer from anything that
cannot, and will not, get fixed, given time & money to do so.

I've spent my "Varnish-time" this month plotting the way ahead and
hopefully Per Buer from Linpro will soon tell me that we have
the necessary sponsors for version 2 lined up, allowing us to
really move forward.

Poul-Henning