Mysterious no content result, from an URL with pass action

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi at varni.sh
Tue Jun 6 15:08:39 UTC 2023

On Tue, Jun 6, 2023 at 12:07 PM Jakob Bohm <jb-varnish at wisemo.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just a quick update,
>
> After changing the hitch to varnish connection from AF_UNIX to TCP,
> rerunning the experiment with tcpdump active revealed that varnish
> 7.2.1 seemed to silently ignore HTTP/2 requests whenever my browser
> chose that over HTTP/1.x .  Turning off HTTP/2 in hitch seems to
> make things work.
>
> I'm still surprised that varnishd drops HTTP/2 over proxyv2 silently
> with no logging that a connection was dropped, and in such a way that
> web browsers interpret it as an empty page.  Feels very similar to
> my earlier issue that failure to bind to a specified listen address
> was not shown to the sysadmin starting varnishd .

Did you enable http2 support?

https://varnish-cache.org/docs/7.2/reference/varnishd.html#feature

I don't like the idea that we silently close sessions, could you
please open a github issue explaining what you observe and how to
reproduce it?

> Now it's time to upgrade to 7.3.0 and improve the configuration.

I don't think we improved anything in that area in the 7.3.0 release.

Dridi