varnishadm exit code 200

Martynas Jusevičius martynas at atomgraph.com
Sat Oct 2 22:14:18 UTC 2021

Hi,

We recently switched to the varnish:latest container and based an
unprivileged image on it (entrypoint runs as USER varnish):
https://github.com/AtomGraph/varnish/blob/official-image/Dockerfile

We noticed that our varnishadm commands started failing. More specifically:

root at dc17c642d39a:/etc/varnish# varnishadm "ban req.url ~ /"
200

As I understand it's a 200 exit code, which means varnishadm failed:
https://varnish-cache.org/docs/5.1/reference/varnishadm.html#exit-status

What does 200 mean exactly? I couldn't find any code list.
My guess is that this has to do with the unprivileged varnish user,
but I'm not sure what it takes to fix it.

Martynas