Memory utilisation gradually increasing

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi at varni.sh
Thu Jul 26 15:25:45 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 5:05 PM, FULLER, David <FULLERD at parliament.uk> wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Am I correct in thinking that even though we’re not using Varnish for
> caching, objects are still stored using malloc?  We have malloc set at
> 100MB, with 1GB allocated to the Varnish container.  Based on the docs
> you’ve linked to should we set malloc at 750MB (75% of the container memory)
> and could this be the cause of the memory problem we’re seeing?

Are you reloading VCLs in your container? Loaded VCLs contribute to
the memory footprint but that's usually negligible. However we've seen
setups where cron jobs or similar means would schedule reloads on a
regular basis whether or not the VCL actually changed on disk, leading
to thousands of loaded VCL. And that could look like a leak with the
memory footprint gradually increasing.

Dridi