varnish with apache mod_auth

Hernán Marsili hernan at cmsmedios.com
Thu Mar 16 22:46:32 CET 2017

Hi,

We are having an issue with VARNISH and apache mod_auth. Varnish is on port
80 serving users and Apache is the backend.

We have servers restricting access only to authenticated users or certain
IP addresses. Since we installed Varnish the issue is that we need to
enable 127.0.0.1 as a permitted IP (required ip rule) so the Varnish can
fetch content. The problem, is that the real IP is not used and all the
other rules does not apply.

Bottom line, how can we still control who is requesting using MOD_AUTH and
having Varnish?

Regards
Hernán.