About choosing the right instance type for Varnish in AmazonEC2

Jason Price japrice at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 19:44:50 CET 2017

In my experience, the R3/R4 family works best for Varnish.  Varnish isn't
great at spreading the load across multiple cores, but it will fully
utilize all the ram you give it.

I like to run an ASG of size 2 as the front door to the side.  This
maximizes availability, and keeps cache fragmentation to a minimum, and
protects you from most AZ issues and single instance hardware issues.

-Jason