Transient storage killing memory

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi at varni.sh
Tue Nov 29 17:32:17 CET 2016

> I took a look into ttl < 10s objects and saw that they are requests we
> intentionally apply either "max-age=0, private" or "no-cache, private"
> to. However their storage field is still "malloc Transient", and
> transient storage usage only appears to be going up.

Transient storage is used for short-lived object, but also for pass'ed
transactions. The storage is freed when the response is consumed by
the client.

Which counters appears to only go up?

> Any ideas how to investigate further?
>
> It's varnish 5.0.0-1, and this didn't happen with 4.1, thought there
> may well have been configuration changes since then.

It could be caused by a change of behavior from your backend, or a
different access pattern from your clients.

Dridi