Varnish returns truncated content

John Salmon John.Salmon at DEShawResearch.com
Wed Apr 6 18:41:05 CEST 2016

On 04/06/2016 11:54 AM, Dridi Boukelmoune wrote:
>> Is this a Varnish bug?  Any advice on how to diagnose this further would be
>> greatly
>> appreciated.
> Hi John,
>
> This is not a bug, but probably due to streaming being enabled by
> default. Basically the request goes through the VCL successfully, the
> curl client gets the headers and then the body is streamed while at
> the same time inserted into storage.
>
> But then you get this error:
>
>> -   FetchError     Could not get storage
> You can see lots of ExpKill records, which mean that you most likely
> hit the nuke_limit (see man varnishd). It means that Varnish stopped
> making space for the new object because for that it had to remove too
> many objects from the cache. It may happen more frequently when a
> storage is mixing large and small objects.
Yes.  I definitely have a mix of small O(100) byte objects
and large (up to 8MB) objects.  How should I set nuke_limit?
80000 would more-or-less guarantee that space can be found
for a large object by nuking small ones.  Are there negative
consequences to setting it so high?  Are there other parameters
I should tune instead/first?

Thanks,
John Salmon

--