[Varnish 4] Custom Error Page from Backend

Kelvin Loke kelvin1111111 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 16:58:16 CEST 2014

I used to be able to do it in Varnish 3, but it's no longer an easy task in
Varnish 4 (or my weary mind stops me from figuring out).

How can I customized the error page (403, 404, 500, etc) from backend and
send to end users? I prefer not to let the public to view my application
error content.

In Varnish 3 I am able to return the error() and specify the customized
error message in vcl_error. However in Varnish 4 I can't find any way to
return the synth() in vcl_backend_response and vcl_backend_error and
specify the custom message in vcl_synth().