varnishncsa silently stops if %D or %T (fulfillment times) are logged

Stephen Wood smwood4 at gmail.com
Wed May 8 02:12:12 CEST 2013

I've been unable to get varnishncsa to log response times, either in
microseconds or seconds (using the %D or %T flags).

All of the other varnishncsa logging options are working fine. For example,
I'm able to use %{Varnish:time_firstbyte}x.

The varnishncsa process will run until the first request comes in, and then
it will simply die. I don't see anything in syslog.

Here's my logging options from /etc/init.d/varnishncsa

"%{X-Forwarded-For}i %t '%r' %s %b '%D' '%{Varnish:time_firstbyte}x'
'%{Varnish:handling}x' '%{X-Row-Count}o' '%{User-agent}i' '%{X-AccessID}o'"

Any ideas on why I can't log these metrics?

Stephen Wood