How client.identity works?

Hugo Cisneiros (Eitch) hugo.cisneiros at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 01:29:03 CEST 2013

Hau,

I'm testing some configurations with the client director and cookie-based
sticky sessions and want to know:

How client.identity decides which backend to use?

For example, if I have two servers with exactly the *same* backends, *same*
VCLs, and a request is sent with client.identity = "ABCDEF1234567890" on
BOTH servers, does both requests on both servers go to the same backend
server? It could be true if using some sort of hash table.

Or the client director first picks a random backend and associates its
value to the client.identity, remembering for the future? This could be
true if using some sort of a key:value table. This way, first scenario
won't work reliably.

Many thanks,

--
[]'s