Varnish 3 - choose backend based on header field.

Rafał Radecki radecki.rafal at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 10:16:01 CET 2013

Hi all.

I currently use varnish 3 in my environment. I use client director
with two backends. I use set client.identity = client.ip to connect
client session with backend.
I would like to have the possibility to choose specific backend (first
or second) based on the presence of a header in http request. If my
request would have a header X-AppServer = app1 varnish should forward
the request to the first application server if X-AppServer = app2 to
the second and if there would be no such header it should use default
client director. Is it possible in varnish 3?

Best regards,
Rafal.