Varnishd and the disk IO

Per Buer perbu at varnish-software.com
Mon May 14 10:17:21 CEST 2012

Hi

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 9:15 AM, 姚伟斌 <nbubingo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, folks,
>
> I have a question. Does the varnish often sync the shared memory file
> named "_.vsm" with the disk? I saw many disk IOs with varnish:

No. But Linux does sync the shmlog to disk as Linux hasn't properly
implemented the flag that keeps stuff off the disk. You can try to either
move the shmlog to a memory based filesystem or tune /proc/sys/vm/*dirty*
and friends. Modern Linux distros seem to prefer syncing stuff to disk very
aggresivly.

--
Per Buer,
Phone: +47 21 98 92 61 / Mobile: +47 958 39 117 / Skype: per.buer