High CPU usage when using ban with HTTP PURGE

Connor Walls connor.walls at skillpages.com
Mon Jul 30 13:04:51 CEST 2012

Hi Lasse, thanks for the prompt reply. I've done a little bit more investigation on this issue.

1. I tried using smart bans but I saw no change in performance. I tried change the ban from a regex to a straight match on the URL (i.e. from ban("obj.http.x-url ~ " + [header containing regex]) to ban("obj.http.x-url == " + [header containing url]) ) and I still observed the same performance issues. I also tried changing from ban() to ban_url() - no performance improvement. Removing that line from the VCL brings the CPU right back down, so I've concluded the problem is adding the ban to the ban list. Is this an inherently CPU intensive operation, is there going to be no way around this?

2. I've also gone down the route of trying purges because they are significantly faster and look like they can handle the load okay, but my only issue is matching variations of a page. My vcl_hash function looks like this:

sub vcl_hash {
   hash_data(req.http.Accept);
   hash_data(req.http.X-Forwarded-Proto);
}

So the problem I'm having is purging all variations of the file based on "Accept" and "X-Forwarded-Proto" headers, as well as the host. Is this something that is even possible? I personally wouldn't have thought so but after seeing in the documentation (https://www.varnish-cache.org/docs/trunk/tutorial/purging.html):  "The purge in vcl_miss is necessary to purge all variants in the cases where you hit an object, but miss a particular variant." Seems to imply that this functionality is present but I can't find any more documentation on how it works. Do I need to remove the hash_data() calls in vcl_hash and instead include "Accept" and "X-Forwarded-Proto" in the "Vary" header coming from the backend server?

Thanks,
Connor Walls