RAM usage beyond specified amount

Per Buer perbu at varnish-software.com
Wed Aug 1 09:15:10 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 8:42 PM, Crowder, Travis
<Travis.Crowder at penton.com>wrote:

>  I recall seeing on the mailing list before a reason why Varnish would
> use more RAM than allocated due to storing something outside of the defined
> allocated memory.****
>
> ** **
>
> For example, I have a box that is allocated 6G of RAM, but it is using
> about 12G virtual memory.

Don't worry about virtual memory usage. It´s not real, it´s virtual.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> >top****
>
> 9101 nobody    20   0 11.7g 6.8g  81m S  6.0 88.5   1270:21 varnishd****
>
> ** **
>
> Varnish is invoked via:****
>
> /usr/local/sbin/varnishd -f /usr/local/etc/varnish/default.vcl -s
> malloc,6G -T xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:2000 -a :80****
>
> ** **
>
> Does anyone know what I am talking about?

You allocate 6G to the malloc backend. In addition Varnish needs memory for
itself and data structures (1kb per object, more or less).

--
Per Buer
Phone: +47 21 98 92 61 / Mobile: +47 958 39 117 / Skype: per.buer