Few questions regarding varnish with FreeBSD

Nicole H. nicole4pt at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 23:15:21 CEST 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk>wrote:

> In message <CAEJj9Cw0X2A2s=
> oAA_0MN9h4TYH14qYBUJPKE8CBdc5dR80MQA at mail.gmail.com>, "Nicole H." writes:
>
> >1) Is it better to use malloc or to create a memory disk?
>
> Malloc is better.

 Thanks

> >2) Any idea why a FreeBSD server running varnish takes forever to shutdown
> >or restart if rebooted?
> > When performing say a shutdown -r now / -h now  The system will stay at
> >"All Buffers Synced"  once I let it run and it took an hour to finally
> >reach Uptime: TIME / The operating system has halted.(for -h)
>
> Interesting, havn't seen that one before.
>
> What happens if you run the "sync" command before shutdown ?

 I have tried that to no avail. This occurs on systems running FreeBSD 8.X
and 9.0.

Syslogd: exiting on signal 15
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process 'vnlru' to stop... done
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process 'bufdaemon' to stop... done

Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process 'syncer' to stop...Syncing
disks, vnodes remaining...2 2 2 1 1 0 0 0 done
All buffers synced.

And that's where it will stay for a very very long time.
 Is there a way to find out what its hanging on?  What is left for the
server to do after that point?

----

Another other odd thing is when it boots back up, it says
Starting varnishd
WARNING: (-sfile) file size reduced to 86100456243 (80% of available disk
space)
WARNING: (-sfile) file size reduced to 86100456243 (80% of available disk
space)
WARNING: (-sfile) file size reduced to 86100456243 (80% of available disk
space)

Each disk is 135Gigs formatted.  Each shows 24G of space used via df or
only 19% Capacity.
They are mounted  ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates  (I know soft updates
don't help but they were already there)
 They are dedicated for use by varnish.

However rc.conf settings are  varnishd_storage="file,/
cache1/varnish-cache.bin,65%"
( I added other entries for a varnish_storage2 and 3)
There is no malloc storage on this particular server since there is only 4G
of RAM. I have tried adding some but it did not seem to make any difference.

 So why does it say reduced to 80%?

> >3)  I have a cache server with 3 disks 135 gigs ea and 4 Gigs ram. The
> >disks are only 8G full ea.
> > Why would my n_lru_nuked (381451 ) be so high?
>
> If this is a 32bit system, you are limited by the 32bit address space
> and Varnish can probably only get about 3GB of address space for caching.

 It's running 64 bit software.
 I basically took a few servers that we had been running squid on and tried
running Varnish. Squid reverse proxy always did fine and never seemed to
push the systems resources.
  Is it because its limited by the 4gigs of ram or by the number of
objects?  How can I tell how many objects are stored?

Thanks!

  Nicole

--
---
 Nicole Melody Harrington - UNIX Systems Mistress