Error when compiling varnish "You need rst2man installed to make dist"

Kenny Deckers kennyds at ac-systems.com
Thu Nov 10 10:33:44 CET 2011

Hey

I just cloned the latest varnish git-repository to compile from source
because I want to "compile Varnish from source for other reasons" as
mentioned on the documentation site.

All the dependencies listed on the website have been installed:

  * autotools-dev
  * automake1.9
  * libtool
  * autoconf
  * libncurses-dev
  * groff-base
  * libpcre3-dev
  * pkg-config
  * Python Docutils
  * Sphinx

I ran the following commands: |

|./autogen.sh| -> works fine

|./configure| -> works fine too

|make| -> fails with the following error:

|creating libvmod_std.la
(cd .libs&&  rm -f libvmod_std.la&&  ln -s ../libvmod_std.la libvmod_std.la)
*You need rst2man installed to make dist*
make[3]: *** [vmod_std.3] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/tmp/varnish-cache/lib/libvmod_std'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/varnish-cache/lib'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/varnish-cache'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I have tried installing rst2man but it cannot be found since it's a
virtual package?:

|apt-get install rst2man
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree