Starting varnish with a PID file

Matt Davies mjdavies at glam.ac.uk
Wed Jun 30 09:05:15 CEST 2010

Hello again

I'm going to be using God to monitor our varnish installation.

Here's how I plan on starting God with a PID file

sudo /usr/local/sbin/varnishd -f /usr/local/etc/varnish/default.vcl -s
malloc,4G -T 127.0.0.1:2000 -a 0.0.0.0:80 -P /usr/local/etc/varnish/
varnish.pid

Then when I want to restart varnish programatically if the PID in that
file is not running I guess I'll have to clean out all varnishd
processes, including the child one, in case that is still running when
the MGR is not, and then start Varnish again.  Or if the MGR process
is not running will the child one stop too?

As always, any tips or assistance is greatly appreciated.

I'll share the God script once I've worked it out.

Matt