Using varnish as a cache for more than one website

Florian Holzhauer fh-varnish at fholzhauer.de
Tue Jun 29 13:15:13 CEST 2010

Dear Davies,

Am 29.06.10 12:49, schrieb Davies Matt J A (LCSS):

> That is a good point though, does anyone use God or another
 > monitoring process to make sure varnish does not go down?
 > Or it will restart it if it does go down.

No, it does not restart automatically. I use Monit
http://mmonit.com/monit/ for such a purpose, daemontools or God might
fit here, too. This is my config:

check process varnish with pidfile /var/run/varnishd.pid
start program = "/etc/init.d/varnish start"
stop program = "/etc/init.d/varnish stop"
if loadavg(5min) greater than 10 for 8 cycles then stop
if 3 restarts within 5 cycles then timeout

Please note that the loadavg-statement might not be useful in all
scenarios. :-)

Cheers,
Florian.