multiple domains in one backend & 2 varnish servers

Andreas Kaiser - Atela CC andreas at atela.net
Tue Apr 21 12:46:15 CEST 2009

Hello,

I'm testing varnish 2.0.4 for a project and struggling trough the
documentation. In my scenario I have a backend server "cms-server" with
multiple domains/sites (for example domain1.com, domain2.com ...) and 2
varnish server (one in Europe and one in USA). Because some domains
should be served by Europe server and others by the usa server I think I
need to configure each varnish install with a specific vcl config file.
What I don't have clear is if I need to use as backend only the IP of
the CMS server or multiple backends for every domain, also all domains
would have the same configuration related with cookies, compression, etc:

backend cmsserver{
.host = "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx";
.port = "80";
}

My experience with varnish is related with one webserver with one domain
that also has varnish installed... If I'm not wrong, varnish would
create a cache for each hostname/domain but I'm lost how varnish and
cmsserver should be configured for showing the specific content for each
domain if the servers are different ones...

The reason of this configuration is that the cms-server will be only
accessible from a private network and the 2 varnish server (which will
be used as public frontend servers) Would varnish be a good choice in
this situation?

Thanks in advance...