Tomcat, Session objects and caching (most) URIs

Torstein Krause Johansen torstein at escenic.com
Wed May 28 14:10:08 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I'm using Varnish 1.1.2 together with Tomcat 5.5.x as backend and I've
got some questions regarding caching and the Java Session object.

When receiving a request, Tomcat always sets a Cookie for storing the
Java Session object (JSESSIONID). Because of this, no pages returned
from Tomcat are cached in Varnish with the default configuration.

I do understand the rationale behind this, but since Tomcat _always_
sets the cookie in order to supply the Session object (a part of the
J2EE spec I believe), I have to find a way to cache (most of) these
requests.

One workaround is to remove the Set-Cookie header in the Tomcat reply
before Varnish treats it:

   vcl_fetch() {
     if (obj.http.Set-Cookie) {
       remove obj.http.Set-Cookie;
     }
   }

Now, as long as noone in any Java application running in the servlet
container uses the Java Session object, this works fine. However, what's
the prefered way of doing this, /if/ we want to use the  Session object
for /some/ URIs?

Is it possible to add an additional test to the vcl_fetch block above to
not remofve the header, if the URI is either starting with e.g. "/login"
or "/register" ?

Another workaround I can think of would be to insert all requests with
Cookies in their headers.

What is the preferred way of solving this problem?

Cheers,

-Torstein
--
Torstein Krause Johansen