send_timeout causes closed connections?

Håvard Futsæter havard.futseter at met.no
Mon May 5 13:53:34 CEST 2008

Hi. We have a problem with connections closing prematurely when
downloading large documents, and we think the send_timeout parameter
could be the culprit.

Example:
Parameter send_timeout is initially set to 45 seconds.

A 19M file is downloaded from varnish ( apache - server as backend ) on
an adsl - line. 45 - 50s into the download the connection is abruptly
closed.

Increasing send_timeout ( say from 45s to 120s ) will delay closing the
connection by the same amount of time. At send_timeout = 180s the
download works just fine ( finishes at 154s ).

In the documentation send_timeout is described like so:
'Send timeout for client connections. If no data has been sent to the
client in this many seconds, the session is closed.'

Any idea what is happening here? Could there be a bug in how varnish
handles this parameter? If so, is this something that has been solved in
1.1.2?

We use Varnish 1.0.4 on 64-bits debian-etch.

- Håvard Futsæter