Miscellaneous questions

Sascha Ottolski ottolski at web.de
Mon Mar 31 20:08:57 CEST 2008

Am Dienstag 18 März 2008 00:07:59 schrieb Michael S. Fischer:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 3:32 PM, DHF <varnish-list at itiva.com> wrote:
> >  This is called CARP/"Cache Array Routing Protocol" in squid land.
> >  Here's a link to some info on it:
> >
> >  http://docs.huihoo.com/gnu_linux/squid/html/x2398.html
> >
> >  It works quite well for reducing the number of globally duplicated
> >  objects in an multilayer accelerator setup, as you can add
> > additional machines in the interstitial space between the frontline
> > caches and the origin as a cheap and easy way to increase the
> > overall ram available to hot objects without having to use some
> > front end load balancer like perlbal, big ip or whatever to direct
> > the individual clients to specific frontlines to accomplish the
> > same thing ( though you usually still have a load balancer for
> > fault tolerance ).  Though in squid there are some bugs with their
> > implementation ...
>
> Thanks for the reminder.  I'll file RFEs for both the static and CARP
> implementations.  I presume the static configuration will be done
> first (if at all), as it's probably significantly easier to
> implement.

probably not exactly the same, but may be someone finds it useful: If
just started to dive a bit into HAProxy (http://haproxy.1wt.eu/): the
development version has the ability to calculate the loadbalancing
based on the hash of the URI to decide which backend should receive a
request. I guess this could be a nice companion to put in front of
several reverse proxies to increase the hit rate of each one.

Cheers, Sascha