how to...accelarate randon access to millions of images?

C. Handel fragfutter at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 20:34:09 CET 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 8:06 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
>  >Serving static files using a http-accelerator seems odd to me.
>
>  Uhm, this is a pretty weird statement if you stop to think about it :-)
>
>  There is no way you could serve a dynamic file from an accellerator
>  without defining it as 'static' for a minimum short period.

I didn't mean the caching-timeouts of a dynamicly calculated content.
We talked about images which sit in a file on the harddisk and i
assumed that they don't change that often. Actually i have a system
where content is never changing once written to the disk (saving
images with names of their md5 hashes)

>  The advantage to running varnish in front of static content is that
>  you can avoid loading of your disk system, and, as far as I can
>  tell, concentrate your investment in the bits of hardware you get
>  most benefit from: RAM instead of CPU.

another advantage would be, that you don't need to think how you would
push the content into your CDN.

>  Finally, I would advice you guys to seriously look at flash-"disk"
>  drives.  The virtual elimination of seektime is just what you want
>  from a web server or cache.

Having Flash Drives for 400GB of content could kill some budgets ;)

Greetings
   Christoph