A few users see a blank page

Marco Molinari marco.molinari at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 16:30:53 CET 2008

On Feb 6, 2008 2:57 AM, Arne Kepp <ak at openplans.org> wrote:
> (Maybe this should be on -misc ?)

Ok, moved.

Thank you for your reply. I'm using PHP and I had it gzip'ing, then I
tried to use mod_deflate, but they're reporting the problem anyway.

But I think the problem is similar. In fact, thanks to a user, I did
some tests and I discovered that:
- they can see static content, even html, any length
- they can see content generated by PHP if it's smaller than 7500 bytes
- they get a blank page if PHP output is more than 8000 bytes
- they see everything if the accelerator is Squid

I disabled compression during these tests. Maybe your users see a
blank page just sometimes, when they request a page that, compressed,
is larger than 7500/8000 bytes?

Sorry I don't have a precise number, but I didn't want to stress my
user too much, but I suppose I can work that out.

I can't replicate this myself; I tried to use Squid (even different
versions) on the client side, to replicate their setup, but I just see
everything.

My VCL is quite simple, too, lookup for images/css and pipe/pass for
everything else.

Any idea of what's happening? What can I do to find more clues?

Thanks
Marco