apache+zope+varnish

Ricardo Newbery ric at digitalmarbles.com
Tue Sep 25 00:44:43 CEST 2007

On Sep 24, 2007, at 12:18 PM, jean-marc pouchoulon wrote:

> bonjour,
>>>

>>> And i know that varnish is the best solution to cache
>>> How integrated varnish in this achitecture ? (What port must listen
>>> varnish in my architecture? How specify to apache to cache with
>>> varnish? ...)
>>>

> put varnish in front of apache
> apache don't have to cache anything just using it to load balance
> to zeo
> client
>
>>> I begin to install varnish with the source but i've some problem to
>>> understand how implemented all this technologies (i'm french
>>> and ...)
>>>

> I'm french too.... and working for the the same big entity ( :-D )
> ...and we use varnish with zope/cps.
> I did some slides on varnish and had presented them to other systems
> administrators in June. If you want them and our config you can
> contact me.
>
> Jean-marc Pouchoulon
> Rectorat de Montpellier

Use-cases differ of course, but I'm partial to the other way around.
Put Apache in front of Varnish and Varnish in front of Zope.  And if
you need load balancing, insert something like Pound between Varnish
and the Zeo clients (although there is some work in Varnish trunk to
add load balancing).  This configuration frees up Apache to serve
other stuff besides the Varnish cached content.

Ric