Newbie : Static content caching

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at linpro.no
Mon Jun 11 11:25:20 CEST 2007

Anup Shukla <anup at iamcool.net> writes:
> If i request, say for example, a static jpeg, i assume that the first
> request will be served by the webserver via varnish, and all later
> requests would be served by varnish, without asking for it from the
> webserver, that is till the object exceeds its lifetime in the cache.
>
> What i observe is this: the request for the jpeg is sent to the
> webserver everytime, the webserver send the entire content to varnish,
> and varnish sends a 304 Not Modified to the client browser.

Most likely, the backend does not set an expiry time on the requested
image, so Varnish uses the default TTL (normally 120s).

Another possibility is that your site uses cookies; by default, Varnish
will not serve requests that come with a cookie from its cache.

I can provide a more detailed (and correct) explanation if you send me a
raw varnish log off-list.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav