Problem with varnish

Allan Jacobsen Allan.J at cobsen.dk
Mon Oct 30 13:38:31 CET 2006

Hi

I wanted to try out varnish, so I downloaded the RHES4 rpm, and have not
had any problem installing it, but when I try to run with it, it does
not seem to cache anything.....

I am running siege from my desktop PC at 192.168.200.17 to the RHES
server on 192.168.200.93, and the apache server is on a third server at
192.168.200.91.
The /etc/varnish/default.net.vcl is like this:

backend webserver {
        set backend.host = "192.168.200.91";
        set backend.port = "80";
}

sub vcl_recv {
        if (req.http.host ~ "") {
                set req.backend = webserver;
        } else {
                error 404 "You requested a document from an unknown
virtual host.";
        }
}

But every request seems to be sent directly on to 192.168.200.91. I am
looking at varnishstat on another console and the "Client requests
received" and "Backend connections initiated" are identical.
Am i missing something obvious ?

Best regards
Allan Jacobsen